On this edition of W2 Media Mornings, we celebrate our launch on the new 100.5FM frequency with two local music legends, and explore the legacy of September 11, 2001 from New York City to Chile.
- ( ( ( LISTEN TO TODAY’S SHOW ONLINE! ) ) )
- Hosted by Derrick O’Keefe & Irwin Oostindie
- Interview with Vancouver musician Geoff Berner, about his new, award-winning album “Victory Party” — and writing a new verse to Woody Guthrie’s “This Land is Your Land” about Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline
- Interview with Ryan McMahon (Red Man Laughing podcast) about his cross-Canada standup comedy tour, Unreserved.
- Interview with Joe Keithley, seeking the nomination to be NDP candidate for Coquitlam-Burke Mountain and singer in the legendary punk band, D.O.A.
- Interview with Prachi Patanker (South Asian Solidarity Initiative, SASI) on the legacy of September 11, on air from New York City
- Latin America report with Alfonso Osorio about Chile’s 1973 coup — the ‘other’ September 11 — and more from the South. Featuring assassinated Chilean President-elect Salvador Allende’s last words to the world and a Ken Loach film about the coup.
- Music: Bruce Springsteen (‘The rising’), Geoff Berner (‘Wealthy Poet’), Hey Ocean (‘Alleyways’), D.O.A. (‘The Prisoner’), D.O.A. (‘General Strike’), Victor Jara (‘Yo no canto por cantar’)
Today’s News Headlines
- September 11 Anniversary: US to finally cover cancer monitoring and treatment of surviving 2001 first responders, after many survivors plagued by illness from toxic wreckage.
- Legislature Bomb Threat: Bomb threat caused evacuation of Victoria legislature, after suspicious package found on bus; 7 hours for Vancouver bomb squad to arrive on ferry.
- Okanagan Wildfires: Wildfires raging in B.C.’s interior are coming under control; 1,100 residents evacuated from homes now able to return.
- Quebec Election & Shooting: Hundreds attended the funeral a man shot dead at a Parti Quebecois victory rally in the wake of that party’s victory last week.