On this edition of Media Mornings on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5FM:
- ( ( ( LISTEN TO PODCAST ) ) )
- Hosted by Jane Bouey.
- Interview with Joey Hartman (President of Vancouver and District Labour Council) on yesterday’s demonstration against M312, and the struggle for women’s reproductive rights, Codev’s Conference on Columbia, and the upcoming World Peace Forum teach-in.
- Interview with Stuart Trew (Trade Campaigner for the Council of Canadians) with an update on CETA – the Canada-European Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement, and what might derail it.
- Concordia University Television (CUTV) Report on September 21st Rally in Montreal against M312.
- Music: Habit (“Slow Learners“), Humans (“Hell Me“), Crow Girls (“Little Bear“), Metric (“Youth without Youth“).
Today’s News Headlines
- PREMIER STAFFER RESIGNS: British Columbians are still buzzing about yesterday’s surprise resignation of Ken Boessenkool, Christy Clark’s chief of staff.
- QUEBEC AUSTERITY: The newly elected Parti Quebecois minority government led by Pauline Marois has swept away key austerity and environmental policies of the Charest Liberals.
- VANCOUVER ISLAND CRASH: A truck driver who crashed his fuel truck on the Malahat Highway north of Victoria last year will avoid jail time.
- ONTARIO LABOUR: In Ontario, Dalton McGuinty’s minority Liberal government appears to be on a collision course with the organized labour movement.
- GREEK GENERAL STRIKE: Another one-day general strike is being held today by the two biggest labour federations in Greece.
- SPAIN POLICE VIOLENCE: In Madrid, police attacked thousands of demonstrators gathered yesterday in the city’s Plaza de Neptune, 100 meters from the Congress building.
- EGYPT JAILS UNIONISTS: In other labour news, an Egyptian court has sentenced five dock workers to three years in jail for inciting a strike.
Ex-Guatemalan commander linked to massacre to stand trial in U.S.
- US-LATIN AMERICA MASSACRES: U.S. Grants Immunity to Ex-Latin American Leaders Charged in the Massacres of Innocent Civilians