W2MEDIA.CA | Listen to today’s 7-8am broadcast of Media Mornings on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5 fm: Host Jane Bouey talks BC budget with Bonnie Pearson – HEU, Sharon Gregson – Coalition of Childcare Advocates of BC, and Joey Hartman – VDLC
( ( ( LISTEN TO PODCAST ) ) )
- An alarming backlog in transcribing and processing medical reports in the Lower Mainland is putting patient care at risk. We talk with Bonnie Pearson , Secretary- Business Manager of the Hospital Employees Union about this serious issue, and get her thoughts on yesterday’s budget.
- We talk with Joey Hartman of the Vancouver and District Labour Council about trade union issues and why they matter to the rest of us.
- The Provincial Liberals made a lot of noise about childcare in their budget yesterday. We discuss the real story of childcare in BC with Sharon Gregson of the Coalition of Childcare Advocates of BC.
- News headlines:
- Yesterday was the last day for one of the busiest coast guard bases in Canada.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada announced Tuesday in a notice to mariners that the Kitsilano Station will no longer offer search-and-rescue services. – CBC
- In Alberta, the Conservative government faces a $4 billion deficit, four times higher than previously projected. The shortfall is due largely to lower than expected energy prices and cuts in corporate royalty rates. – Huffington Post
- Here in BC, educators, unions, and groups representing vulnerable families are questioning whether the budget tabled yesterday 2013 lives up to Premier Clark’s aim to “invest in families.” – Tyee
- The BBC reports that Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has resigned after failing to reach agreement on forming a new government.
- Taliban attacks on Afghan government employees soared by 700 per cent last year, even as the overall 2012 civilian death toll from the war fell for the first time in six years, the UN said yesterday.-RT
- Trade unions in India have begun a two-day strike against the government’s economic reforms, which they describe as anti-labour. – BBC
- W2TV – Sid Tan interviews Faye Leung about tradition of Chinese New Year.
- Announcement: Community Forum on future of W2 – tonight Wed, Feb 20th
- Music today included Business Man by Mother- Mother. Plus Mark Berube – Pretty Little Bird, Blue Island Trio – The Crwth, and Kytami – Death’s Beauty Remix.