W2MEDIA.CA | On today’s 7-8am broadcast of Media Mornings on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5 fm, we discuss Toronto’s historic “sanctuary city” vote yesterday with No One Is Illegal-Toronto organizer Syed Hussan, and its Vancouver implications with Sanctuary Health Coalition’s Byron Cruz. Plus we tour the new “Sex Talk in the City” exhibit at the Museum of Vancouver with curator Viviane Gosselin.
( ( ( LISTEN TO PODCAST ) ) )
- Hosted by Charlene Sayo & David Ball
- Interview with curator Viviane Gosselin, who took us on a tour of the new “Sex Talk in the City” exhibit at the Museum of Vancouver.
Sanctuary City undocumented migrant vote section:
- Interview with Syed Hussan (No One Is Illegal-Toronto), on Toronto’s historic “sanctuary city” vote yesterday that allows undocumented migrants to access services without fear of deportation.
- Interview with Byron Cruz (Sanctuary Health Coalition, Vancouver), on the implications of the Toronto vote for Vancouver.
- Music: Santigold (“Disparate Youth” CREM remix), Manu Chao – (“Clandestino”), Kytami (“Bass is High”), JB the Firstlady (“Get Ready Get Steady”), Ohbijou (“Wildfires, Zealandia remix”).
TOP MEDIA MORNINGS NEWS HEADLINES
- TOP STORY: CANADA: RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL DEATHS
Canada’s residential school survivors says a report released Monday confirming at least 3,000 deaths at the Schools is just the beginning. More than a 150,000 kids were forced into the schools by the federal government for over a century ending in the 1990s (APTN).
- VANCOUVER: COPE POLICE REFORM REJECTED
A FORMER COP has dismissed a suggestion that the City of Vancouver get rid of bylaws used by police to ticket and move along street people as “completely brainless thinking”. Dave Jones, now a security consultant and former inspector overseeing the Vancouver Police Department’s downtown district, was commenting on one of six “policy directions” adopted by members of the Coalition of Progressive Electors at their civic party’s policy conference on February 16 (Straight).
- VANCOUVER: LITTLE MOUNTAIN OPINIONS
A survey of current and former residents of Vancouver’s Little Mountain social housing and their neighbours shows locals are still wary of the new mixed-income development planned for the space (Megaphone).
- BC: SAM SULLIVAN TO RUN FOR BC LIBERALS
Former mayor Sam Sullivan is back in the political spotlight after winning the B.C. Liberals’ nomination race in the riding of Vancouver-False Creek (Courier).
- TORONTO: SANCTUARY CITY
Toronto has made history by affirming itself as a “sanctuary city,” the first Canadian city with a formal policy allowing undocumented migrants to access services regardless of immigration status (TorontoStar).
- CANADA: HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH SLAMS RCMP RESPONSE
An international human rights organization released a report on the RCMP with allegations of abuse by their officers on Aboriginal women and girls, including a woman saying she was gang-raped on a number of occasions. But now, Human Rights Watch says the RCMP is dismissing their research that involved hours of field and interviewing dozens of people. This comes after the organization travelled to Vancouver to meet with province’s top RCMP brass (APTN).
- CANADA: EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE INVESTIGATION
The federal government has begun visiting employment insurance recipients at home as part of an “examination” being conducted while the program undergoes an overhaul (CBC).