W2MEDIA.CA | Listen to today’s 7-8am broadcast of Media Mornings on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5 fm: Co-host Maayan Kreitzman explores affordable housing in Vancouver focusing on the redevelopment of Heather Place. David Ball interviews Dennis Edney – Omar Khadr’s lawyer.
- Interview with Dennis Edney QC – Omar Khadr: Still in jail after 11 years, What’s next? Public Forum Tuesday April 16, 7-9 PM SFU Harbour Centre
Listen to the full interview:
- Interview with Vancouver City Councillor Geoff Meggs (Vancouver representative – Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation) on why he supports the Heather Place redevelopment.
- Inteview with Karen Gilchrist (Heather Place resident, Social Housing Coalition) and Nathan Crompton (Vancouver Renters Union) about their concerns about the loss of affordable housing at Heather Place.
- News Headlines
Nicolas Maduro has won the Venezuelan presidential election with 50.66 percent of the vote against 49.07 percent for opposition candidate Henrique Capriles Radonski. Maduro gave a victory speech immediately after, while Capriles initially refused to recognize the results. – venezuelanalysis.com
After winning a landslide first-ballot win in the Liberal leadership race, Justin Trudeau called for an end to internal party divisions and an end to the partisan politics of division. – CP
A new poll suggests the NDP is ahead of the governing BC Liberals by 12 percentage points heading into the May 14 election campaign. – The Tyee
Demonstrators rallied in London’s Trafalgar Square on Saturday to celebrate the death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, but RT News says that rain put a damper on the event, which drew hundreds rather than the thousands originally expected.
- For the first time, scientists have managed to demonstrate that ten times more ice melts in the summer months on the Antarctic Peninsula now than it did 600 years ago. – Al Jazeera
- Music today included: Suuns – Arena, No Shit Shirleys – Mountain Song, Shotgun Jimmie – Janitors Luck, Drumhand – Transit Muse