Democracy North is an independent Canadian and global news hour, featuring the week’s top grassroots news and interviews.
Every weekend, we compile the top guests and headlines from our daily Media Mornings show, bringing you a grassroots view on the week’s top global and national affairs.
- 03:30 — This week’s top Canadian and global grassroots news headlines.
- 22:40 — Report on the Toronto vigil for Ali Mustafa, an activist and photojournalist killed by Syrian bombings while working in Syria earlier this month. Ali was a guest on Media Mornings on Jan. 24.
- — You can read more about Ali Mustafa, “the people’s journalist,” in a Media Mornings special commentary published in the Georgia Straight by Derrick O’Keefe here.
- 24:00 — Interview with Talal Kanaan (Palestinian-Syrian engineer in Toronto) about the death of his friendship with Ali Mustafa. Interviewed by David P. Ball on March 13.
- 38:00 — Interview with Derrick O’Keefe about the legacy of Ali Mustafa and his work. Interviewed by Irwin Oostindie on March 11. Includes a look-back broadcast of our Jan. 24 interview with Ali Mustafa live from Egypt. Interviewed by Derrick O’Keefe on Jan. 24.
- 44:20 — Interview with Adriana Paz Ramirez and Chris Ramsaroop (Justicia 4 Migrant Workers) on why organized labour needs to choose international solidarity over protectionism when it comes to rhetoric around temporary foreign workers. David P. Ball on March 13.
- 52:00 — Interview with war resister Rodney Watson, an Iraq veteran living in exile and sanctuary in a Downtown Eastside church, about the 11th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq. Interviewed by Derrick O’Keefe and broadcast on March 20.
- Music by Propagandhi (“Note to Self”), Le Trio Joubran & Mahmoud Darwish (“Mural”), PJ Harvey (“All and Everyone”), Aidan Knight (“Dream Team”).