W2MEDIA.CA | Today’s 7-8am Media Mornings independent Canadian news hour on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5 fm:
( ( ( SORRY AUDIO UNAVAILABLE) ) )
- The race for President of the Canadian Labour Congress…is more interesting this year.
- One of the reasons is the surprising grass roots candidacy of activist Hassan Husseini.
- We have a feature interview with Husseini about the relevancy of the CLC, and building coalitions for social change.
- Canada’s prison watchdog has launched an investigation into the prescribing practices in federal prisons.
- It was revealed that more than 60 per cent of female inmates across the country are receiving psychiatric medication.
Of 591 female federal inmates in five correctional institutions, 370 were being prescribed at least one psychotropic medication.
Prescription rate jumps to almost 75 per cent in prisons such as Fraser Valley Institution for Women in British Columbia.
We discuss these issues with Kim Pate Executive Director of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies.