Democracy North is an independent Canadian and global news hour, featuring the week’s top grassroots news and interviews.
Every weekend, we compile the top guests and headlines from our daily Media Mornings show, bringing you a grassroots view on the week’s top global and national affairs.
Produced by Derrick O’Keefe, Jane Bouey, David P. Ball, Irwin Oostindie and Jahanzeb Hussain on unceded Coast Salish territories.
- 03:00 — This week’s top grassroots Canadian & global news headlines.
- 16:50 — Interview with Jesse Rosenfeld, freelance journalist in Egypt, about the 700+ people sentenced to death for protesting the military coup, foreign affairs minister John Baird’s visit to Cairo, and Al Jazeera journalists in jail. Interviewed by Derrick O’Keefe.
- 27:00 — Interview with Jess Housty (councillor, Heiltsuk Nation) about the de-listing of the humpback whale from Canada’s endangered species list, and revelations the government is monitoring pipeline opponents. Interviewed by David P. Ball.
- 35:00 — Interview with Emma Gilchrist, deputy editor of Desmogblog, on the impacts of the PR and media campaign by Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline. Interviewed by Jane Bouey.
- 47:00 — Interview with Dietram Scheufele, professor in Science Communication at the University of Wisconsin, on his experiment to measure the effects of “the nasty effect” in online comment boards and how it shapes our views. Interviewed by Jane Bouey.
- Music by Sami Matar, Freeway, The Narcicyst, Omar Offendum, HBO Def Poet Amir Sulaiman, and Ayah (“Hip Hop Song for the Egyptian Revolution”), Warpaint (“Keep it Healthy”), Kinnie Starr (“Home is Everywhere”), Sweatshop Union (“Humans Race”)