Democracy North is an independent Canadian and global news hour, featuring the week’s top grassroots news and interviews.
Every weekend, we compile the top guests and headlines from our daily Media Mornings show, bringing you a grassroots view on the week’s top global and national affairs.
Produced & broadcast on unceded Coast Salish territories by Derrick O’Keefe, Jane Bouey, David P. Ball, Irwin Oostindie and Jahanzeb Hussain.
- 03:20 — This week’s top grassroots Canadian & global news headlines.
- 11:50 — Interview with Naveen Mehta (United Food and Commercial Workers, UFCW) on Canada’s temporary foreign worker program. Interviewed by Jane Bouey.
- 24:20 — Interview with Jose Figueroa, an El Salvadoran facing an imminent deportation hearing on May 26 from Canada after living seven months in sanctuary in a Langley, B.C. church with his family. He has been ordered deported because he was openly affiliated to a group in his home country that became the government at the end of the civil war and is not even on Canada’s terrorism list. His defence campaign is We Are Jose. Interviewed by David P. Ball.
LISTEN TO EXCERPT: JOSE FIGUEROA
- 36:20 — Segment produced by Michal Rozworski on last week’s Canadian Labour Congress convention and the election of a new leader, Hassan Yussuff.
- 56:10 — Interview with Shining Soul, Indigenous hip hop group from Arizona on their North American resistance tour, as well as the ‘allied industrial complex’ and decolonization. Interviewed by Irwin Oostindie.