W2MEDIA.CA | Today’s 7-8am Media Mornings independent Canadian news hour on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5 fm:
- 02:00 —Today’s top news headlines from local to global current affairs — radio news roundup you won’t hear anywhere else.
- 13:40 — Interview with Robyn Allan (economist and former CEO of ICBC) on Kinder Morgan’s controversial pipeline application fund, allowed by National Energy Board despite concerns it would give the firm an advantage.
- 26:00 — Interview with Kevin Thomas (engagement director, Shareholder Association for Research and Education (SHARE)), a shareholder advocacy group arguing that executive pay and bonuses for both energy and railway firms involved in moving oil-by-rail should come with safety strings attached one year after the Lac-Mégantic Quebec rail disaster.
- 36:00 — Interview with Charlie Smith (editor, Georgia Straight) on militarism on display at Canada Day, the war in Afghanistan and lack of critical journalism about the impacts of war; as well as the launch of Indian Summer Festival.
- 48:30 — Interview with Sherif Fahmy (brother of jailed Canadian Al Jazeera journalist Mohamed Fahmy) on his seven year jail sentence with two other Al Jazeera staff by Egypt’s military dictatorship, and why Canada should do more to advocate for his release.
LISTEN TO INTERVIEW WITH SHERIF FAHMY
- Music: Sarah Harmer (“First Lady”), Michael Franti (“Rock the Nation”), Massar Egbari (“Have no Fear”), The Narcysist (“Fly over Egypt”)