W2MEDIA.ORG | Democracy North independent Canadian news hour broadcast on Vancouver Co-op Radio 100.5 fm LIVESTREAM
Airing live at Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 5pm PST
Today’s Host: Irwin Oostindie @DutchPhoto
Celebration of Life: Charles Boylan (March 18, 1943-June 17, 2017)
Charles Boylan was a leading player for the rights of People through his role on the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist Leninist) and as a builder of coalitions and as an activist broadcaster and journalist. Charles started with Coop Radio on the Discussion show in the late 1990s. Later, he spearheaded a morning show with his partner Donna Peterson called Wake Up with Co-op. By 2011, the morning show was continued as Media Mornings from the @W2Media Collective, which developed this program you are listening to, ‘Democracy North.’
We are indebted to Charles for his leadership as an activist broadcaster modelling the critical role current affairs radio plays in educating and mobilising the People.
Charles had struggled with illness for many years but continued to produce his program for much of that time, only stepping away from Coop Radio within the past year.
Charles Boylan’s obituary is here. A Celebration of Life Service was held October 15, 2017 at the Maritime Labour Centre.
We will hear:
- Grand Chief Stewart Phillips and Joan Phillips, Union of BC Indian Chiefs.
- Excerpts from the last interview given by Charles Boylan, conducted by Gurpreet Singh on June 2, 2017 at the Cottage Hospice in Vancouver, for the program Mehak Punjab Di on Joytv in Surrey. They talk about the faux redress apologies of the Canadian state, East Indian Defense Committee, fighting racism, and building the anti-war movement in Vancouver
- Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, Government of BC
- Reading of Bertolt Brecht’s ‘In Praise of Learning’
- Jean Ardila, Vice President, Local 1, Education and Training Employees Association
- Don Davies, MP for Vancouver Kingsway.
- Gail Davidson, Lawyers Against the War
- Singing of The Internationale